Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stuck in the Middle

Middle Child Syndrome!  It exists ladies and gentlemen!  Urban Dictionary would describe it as an emotional scarring condition.
Middle children are known for ending up with the things that are too big for the baby in the family and too small for the oldest.  It is a known fact the youngest and oldest are treated differently than the middle child for the oldest is the first child (aka favorite)  and the smallest is the baby (aka the last child) known for getting whatever they desire because they are the "baby."
I would know this firsthand for I am the middle child in my family. The first-born sibling is put on a pedestal and the youngest sibling gets away with the most. The middle child is just sort of…there.  We do not get noticed as much or we have to work that much harder for the attention of our parents. Many studies say the second-borns pull away from social situations or stay close to themselves. I find this only to be true to a select few. The middle children that I know are open in social situations, because they have to put themselves out there to be noticed therefore they are comfortable socially.
It is also said that the first-borns tend to be more intelligent. I think that is due to the fact that they are more nurtured from the beginning. They are child number one.
The second-born tends to be more creative. This holds true in my family. Let’s face it compared to my sister and brother I have already lived a more creative life. One time when my sister and I fought about where the feminine protection product pads should go in our new house. She threw them all scattered in my room while screaming profanities. I, on the other hand, thought I had a more creative way to dispose of the pads while holding strong in the fight. I took the sticky off the back and put the pads across my sister’s bedroom door. I wrote out “you suck” with pads and scribbled red marker on many of the pads. This was far more creative way to take out my stress. I was trying to ease the tension and let’s face it, It was funny.
Anywho, The third-born is known to have a good sense of humor or to be funny.
Middle children also tend to be more independent. This probably comes from them feeling as they don’t belong in the family for their whole lives or that they are treated differently. Many parents will deny that they play favoritism. It happens! Parents will favor the child that is more like them.
If you don't believe me you can google it! Famous middle children you have seen on tv...Lisa Simpson from the Simpsons or Cindy from the Brady Bunch.
I think if you’re going to have children two is a good number. I suggest having a boy first and then a girl. ( Like you get to choose right? Ha! No…) An older sister will more likely be vicious to her younger sibling when pms hits her or she’s frustrated with the world. She will take it out on her sibling. An older brother may do this also, but I find that they have a more protection streak over their younger sibling. Both girl and boy will be somewhat protective over their younger sibling but a guy dominates in this area.
Let us prevent middle child syndrome in the future. Parents do not neglect your second-born. (Parents, don’t neglect any of your children) Parents should also never compare siblings to each other. Parents need to reward and treat their accomplishments individually.
We love middle children. They are the best. J

"My mom should of stopped after me."

4 comments:

  1. So Shannon, are you saying that you actually are neglected by your mother? I mean, I know the middle child syndrome is sort of real.. expect for the fact that my brother (the middle child) gets whatever he wants because he's my mommies "baby boy"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not necessarily "neglected" as apose to treated differently. Many times when there is a large gap in age betweeen the oldest and second born then the cycle restarts it's self. So I would say in your case,psychologically, tt is almost that your brother is the "oldest" and you would be the "youngest". I also think that gender plays a role and if you are the only of that gender or if another sibling is the same gender as you. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. I am also a middle child and it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though i am not a middle child, I do think that it sucks when you are compared to your siblings. Everyone is different! :)

    ReplyDelete